Making homemade barbecue pork hamburgers is easy. Although many people reach for ground beef, you can also use ground pork to make flavorful burgers. Swap the pork for turkey or beef if you prefer.
My Version of Barbecue Pork Hamburgers
The following recipe blends the pork with salt, pepper, garlic and thyme, to make a simple yet delicious patty. The burgers are mildly seasoned and delicious with the flavour of the pork, so you would not need to add much to round them out. Perhaps you want to add some lettuce leaves or tomato slices. Prepare these before putting the patties on the grill, so everything is ready to assemble as soon as the burgers are cooked.
Slices of onion are also good or some of your favourite kinds of cheese. Ketchup or mayonnaise is also good, or you might like to combine ¼ cup each of grainy mustard and whole berry cranberry sauce for a tangy, sweet and sour dressing which is fantastic with pork.
Serve these with potato salad or fries if you wish, or perhaps a tossed salad. Pork hamburgers can be flavoured however you want to, so if you’re going to adapt the original recipe and change the flavourings, you can. For example, some people like to add minced green onion and cilantro for a Thai flavour or a pinch of curry powder for an Indian taste. Feel free to experiment to get the burgers the way you want them. You can also add some chili flakes or hot sauce if you want a bit of a kick.
Barbecue Pork HamburgersPrint Recipe
- 2 pounds of ground pork
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 burger buns, to serve
- Lettuce, onion, tomato slices, ketchup, mayonnaise or other condiments, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Crack or grind the peppercorns and mix them with the pork, garlic, salt and thyme.
- Shape four patties and make them thinner in the centre so they will cook evenly.
- Cook for 5 minutes per side or until done the way you like them.
- The burgers should be 160 degrees F in the centre.
- Serve between the burger bun halves, adding your preferred salad and condiments.