In case you’re searching for a tasty and healthy Mexican meal that’s packed with protein, this High-Protein Diet Firehouse Enchiladas recipe is just what you need. Made with lean protein sources, fresh vegetables, and whole-grain tortillas, these enchiladas are a delicious and nutritious option for anyone who wants to follow a high-protein, low-carb, and gluten-free diet. In this post, we’ll provide a detailed overview of the recipe, along with some scientific research that supports the benefits of a high-protein diet.
High-Protein Diet Firehouse Enchiladas Health Benefits
This High-Protein Diet Firehouse Enchiladas recipe is packed with nutritious ingredients that can benefit your health in several ways. The lean protein sources, such as ground turkey or chicken, can help to build muscle and support weight loss efforts. The fresh vegetables, including red onion, garlic, and bell peppers, are high in vitamins and antioxidants that can boost your immune system and overall health. Furthermore, the use of whole-grain tortillas in this recipe offers an excellent source of complex carbohydrates that can offer long-lasting energy and aid in regulating blood sugar levels.
The recipe for High-Protein Diet Firehouse Enchiladas provides a scrumptious and wholesome meal choice that is convenient to prepare for either lunch or dinner. Packed with lean protein sources, fresh vegetables, and whole-grain tortillas, this dish is perfect for anyone who wants to follow a high-protein, low-carb, and gluten-free diet. Why not try this recipe today and indulge in a savory and nourishing meal!
High-Protein Diet Firehouse Enchiladas: A Healthy and Delicious Mexican Meal
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey) - or chicken (lean)
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium red onion - chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño - chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 pinch salt - to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper - to taste
- 8 medium tortillas - whole-grain
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 small bunch cilantro (coriander) - fresh, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup salsa - or 2 tablespoons hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- To start, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions and cook until they become translucent, which should take approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Next, add minced garlic, chopped bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper (if using) to the skillet and continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Add ground turkey or chicken and cook until it’s browned, typically taking 5 to 7 minutes. Proceed to add cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper and stir the mixture until everything is combined.
- Spoon the turkey or chicken mixture onto the tortillas and roll them up. Arrange the enchiladas with the seam side facing down in a baking dish that measures 9×13 inches.
- Then, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the enchiladas, and place the dish in the preheated oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until you see that the cheese has melted and is slightly bubbly.
- Take out the baking dish from the oven and, if desired, sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top of the enchiladas. Serve the dish with salsa or hot sauce on top.