These are savory and saucy Asian meatballs that make the perfect party appetizer! Your friends will think you slaved away in your kitchen for an hour making these delicious, saucy meatballs… and you can let them believe that. But, you and I will know the truth.
While the saucy Asian meatballs are in the oven, whip up the easy sauce! If you are making these for a party, I found a lot of success in transporting them in a crockpot. Once there, just put on the “warm” setting. Easy. Easy. Easy. Just remember to secure the top with rubber bands.
The Perfect Saucy Asian Meatballs AppetizerPrint Recipe
- FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix (equal parts beef, veal and pork) or ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped (plus a little extra for garnish)
- Optional: Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 cup hoisin
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil.
2. In a large bowl, mix the meat, sesame oil, panko, ginger, eggs, garlic and scallions.
3. Roll meat into 1-1/2 inch wide balls. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
4. While in the oven, make the sauce: whisk together the hoisin, rice vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and sprinkle of sesame seeds.
5. Serve warm (2 options): Place a toothpick in each meatball, dip in the sauce and sprinkle meatballs with sesame seeds and scallions. This makes a nice presentation on a serving tray. Or, place meatballs in a large bowl and toss with the sauce (for me, I brought this dish to a party, so I mixed them in a crockpot); sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions (optional).