These are savory and saucy Asian meatballs that make the perfect party appetizer! Your friends will think you slaved away in your kitchen for an hour making these delicious, saucy meatballs… and you can let them believe that. But, you and I will know the truth.
While the saucy Asian meatballs are in the oven, whip up the easy sauce! If you are making these for a party, I found a lot of success in transporting them in a crockpot. Once there, just put on the “warm” setting. Easy. Easy. Easy. Just remember to secure the top with rubber bands.
The Perfect Saucy Asian Meatballs Appetizer
These are savory and saucy Asian meatballs that make the perfect party!
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon ginger - ground
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons garlic - minced
- ½ cup green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped (plus a little extra for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds - (Optional) for garnish
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger - ground
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with foil.
- In a large bowl, mix the meat, sesame oil, panko, ginger, eggs, garlic and scallions.
- Roll meat into 1-1/2 inch wide balls. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- While in the oven, make the sauce: whisk together the hoisin, rice vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Serve warm (2 options): Place a toothpick in each meatball, dip in the sauce and sprinkle meatballs with sesame seeds and scallions. This makes a nice presentation on a serving tray. Or, place meatballs in a large bowl and toss with the sauce (for me, I brought this dish to a party, so I mixed them in a crockpot); sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions (optional).
Calories: 304kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 24gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.004gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 769mgPotassium: 89mgFiber: 1gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 106IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 37mgIron: 3mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!