Our beloved crepes can be paired with endless ingredients and flavours, whether sweet or savoury. They are especially enjoyed by kids, so they’re a very nice idea for parties. This recipe is for crepes with minced meat, but you can enjoy them in other ways, like stuffed with spinach, ham, cheese and more!
Finger-Lickin’ Good Crepes with Minced Meat
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 4 medium eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- ⅝ cup butter - unsalted
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - if desired you can mix with minced pork
- 1 medium yellow onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium egg
- ⅝ cup chicken livers
- 1 bulb garlic
- ⅚ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley - chopped fresh
- 1 piece bay leaf (bay leaves)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- ⅔ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 medium tomatoes - peeled
- 1 bulb garlic
- ½ teaspoon sugar (white sugar)
- In a large bowl combine water, milk, eggs (beaten), salt, flour and 3 tbsp of melted butter. Blend together and let the mixture in the fridge for at least 3 hours. (The mixture should be like thin cream).
- Heat a pan, spread half tsp of butter and pour in 3 full tablespoons of the mixture.
- Bake it for a couple of minutes and test the first crepe; if it isn’t baked, this could mean the mixture is too thick, so add some milk or water.
- Tilt the pan to make the mixture spread everywhere to make a thin crepe. Bake it for 2 minutes over medium heat (or low, depending on your kitchen appliance) and turn it over. Let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Repeat until there is no mixture left in the bowl.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion with 2 tsp of butter until soft.
- Add the minced meat and the bird livers, cook for a few minutes and then add a crushed garlic clove and stir until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the wine and let the pot boil for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, some chopped parsley and 1 bay leaf.
- Lower the heat and let the mince simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and add 1 beaten egg, 2 tbsp of parmesan and the breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Fill the crepes with the meat and place them in a baking tray.
- Peel off the tomatoes, remove the seeds and chop the rest.
- Add the remaining butter to a pan, add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, a crushed garlic clove and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 5 more minutes and remove the pan from heat.
- Pour the sauce onto the crepes in the baking tray and sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.
- Bake in preheated oven (180°C) for 15 minutes until golden brown.