We love breakfast sausage, especially with our morning eggs. So when we bought a 1/2 of a pig earlier this year, I was thrilled with the amount of sausage we got. But after several months, we finally ran out. So having 12 pounds of ground pork in the freezer, I finally got enough courage to try my hand at making my own. And boy, am I glad I did! I will never again buy pre-made sausage.
I encourage you to make your own breakfast sausage. It’s easy, and the flavour can’t be beaten. And best of all, you know exactly what’s in it; no nitrates, MSG or GMOs necessary.
Easy Gluten-Free Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 2 pounds ground pork (minced pork)
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place ground pork in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices, salt, and sucanat. If using, mix until combined.
- Pour spice mixture over ground pork and mix in a kneading motion until the spices are thoroughly incorporated. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Once the spices and meat are combined, you have sausage. You can make sausage balls, patties or chubs. I chose to roll the meat into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. I placed the sausage in the freezer for 45 minutes (for easy slicing), then took it back out and cut it into one-ounce patties. I flash froze the patties on a cookie sheet and then packaged them up into family-sized portions.
- Fry the patties up until golden brown on each side.