This Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with Rice is a comforting and filling dish that is perfect for busy weeknights or a family gathering. It is a one-pan meal that is full of flavor and texture, combining seasoned ground beef, fluffy rice, creamy cheese, and a variety of vegetables and spices.
This beef casserole with rice is inspired by the traditional Mexican dish, Arroz con Carne, which translates to “rice with meat”. However, this recipe takes it a step further by adding layers of deliciousness and a cheesy topping that is sure to satisfy any appetite.
Mexican Ground Beef Casserole With Rice Instruction
The ground beef is first cooked with onions, garlic, and a blend of Mexican seasonings/spices, such as chili powder, cumin, and paprika, which add depth and complexity to the dish. Then cook the rice in the same pan with the beef, soaking up all the flavors and juices. To finish this Mexican Ground Beef Casserole With Rice off, a layer of cheese is melted on top, creating a gooey and irresistible topping.
This hearty and flavorful casserole is a crowd-pleaser that can be easily customized to your liking. You can add more vegetables like bell peppers, corn, or tomatoes, or adjust the spice level to your preference. This Mexican Ground Beef Casserole With Rice is also a great dish to make ahead of time and reheat throughout the week for quick and easy meals.
Overall, this Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with Rice is a delicious and satisfying dish that is sure to become a new family favorite.
Party Perfect: Mexican Ground Beef Casserole With Rice
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn - drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ cup white onion - chopped
- ½ cup green pepper - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (coriander) - chopped, fresh
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook the rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the onions, green peppers, and garlic until the beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are softened.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes (undrained), black beans, corn, and salsa to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, layer the cooked rice on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the beef and vegetable mixture on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the beef mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top of the casserole before serving.
- Enjoy this delicious and hearty Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with Rice that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or meal prep!