I love to create colourful food, and this chicken and three-bean chili have lots of colours to please the eye and the palette. I have used ground chicken from chicken breasts I bought at the store and ground them myself. I was reminded that I could do this using my food processor by Pinterest.
You’ll enjoy making this chicken and three-bean chili recipe if you love chili like me. I think it’s one of those special recipes you can consider as your comfort food during those cold or lazy days. As for me, I have gotten used to cooking this whenever my family requests it.
Rich Chicken and Three-Bean Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large jalapeños - sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow bell peppers (yellow capsicum) - chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium orange bell pepper (orange capsicum) - chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic - grated
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 14 ounces chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces black beans - drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces tomato - crushed
- 28 ounces tomato - diced
- 1 cup chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon)
- Heat oil in a big dutch oven or similar over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Add onion and salt and cook for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add Jalapenos, Yellow Bell Pepper, Orange Bell Pepper and Red Bell Pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until peppers are softened.
- Clear a space in the center of the pot and add the garlic, chipotle pepper, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant and mix until vegetables are coated in the spice.
- Move vegetables to one side of pot and add ground chicken to empty side, breaking up the meat as it cooks 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. You can mix the meat and vegetables together after about 5 minutes. Continue breaking up chicken until no longer pink.
- Add garbanzo beans, kidney beans and black beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot and mix in.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cover and allow to cook for an additional 15 minutes and then serve with accompanying condiments.