We had our friends over a few weeks ago, so I made some Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice. It was a smack, as always. I decided we desired some egg rolls to go with it, so I came up with this Chicken Egg Rolls recipe.
They are filled with chicken, fresh milled garlic and ginger, cabbage and carrots. They are marvellous! I deep-fried ours like conventional egg rolls, but I am sure you could cook in the oven, and they would be mouth-watering, too. Serve up this chicken egg rolls recipe with some sweet and sour sauce, and you will be a pleased camper!
Crispy Chicken Egg Rolls Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 2 teaspoons garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger - minced
- 2 cups cabbage - shredded
- 1 cup carrots - shredded
- 1 sprig green onions (scallions or green shallots) - thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup vegetable oil - for frying
- In a big, deep skillet, insert the quart of oil. Heat oil over medium-low heat until it reaches 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In another large skillet, add chicken, garlic, and ginger over medium-high heat. Crumble and brown chicken until carefully cooked. Add the tattered cabbage, carrots and sliced green onion to the chicken and mix to combine. Carry on to stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the mixture is heated. Then turn off the heat and remove the skillet from the burner.
- In a bowl, mix up together the flour and water to make a paste. (This paste will help seal the egg rolls before frying)
- Get one egg roll wrapper and put it on a flat, spotless surface, with one corner pointing towards you. Put 1/4 cup of the chicken fusion into the middle of the wrapper. Take the bottom corner and fold over the filling. Fold up the two side corners over the middle and carry on to roll up. Brush a little of the flour paste on the peak corner to seal the egg roll. Repeat this process until all egg rolls are wrapped.
- Cautiously place 2 to 3 egg rolls at a time into the hot oil. Fry rolls for 2 to 3 minutes, using forceps to turn them, so they equally cook on all sides. They are complete when they are golden brown. Take out from oil and put on a paper towel-lined plate. Dish up with sweet and sour sauce.