This authentic pad kra pao gai dish is essentially fried basil leaves with the meat of your choice. It’s best served over rice. Usually, there are sliced cucumber on the side and a fried egg on top.
If you’re shopping in a Thai market, the word for Thai Basil or Holy Basil is Kra Pao, and the word for chicken is Gai. If you’re not in Thailand, you can use regular basil or swap out any of the ingredients below.
If you want a homemade recipe for authentic pad kra pao gai, this beginner-friendly recipe is a must-try.
Authentic Pad Kra Pao Gai Recipe
Pad Kra Pao Gai Ingredients
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 bundle Thai Basil
- ¼ cup yellow onion - sliced
- ¼ cup green pepper (green capsicum) - sliced
- ¼ cup red pepper (red capsicum) - sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar (white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons water
Optional Seasoning Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 medium cucumber - sliced for garnish
- 1 small fried egg - per serving for garnish
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- Use the flat side of your knife blade to crush the garlic and remove the peels.
- Cut the ends off the chillies and slice down the middle.
- Slice the onion and bell peppers if you’re adding them.
- Remove the basil leaves and set them aside for later.
- Mix the seasoning: fish sauce, sugar, water, oyster sauce, and Golden Mountain in a cup and set aside for later.
- Steam your jasmine rice
- Heat some oil on high heat and toss in the garlic.
- Once the garlic begins to brown, add the veggies if you’re using them (if not, skip this).
- Add the meat and Thai chillies.
- The meat will cook quickly, so keep turning it, breaking up the pieces into smaller and smaller bits.
- If the pan is too hot, you can put in some of your seasonings.
- Once the meat is well cooked, pour in your seasoning mixture and the basil.
- Stir and cook until the basil is soft and dark green.
- Serve over jasmine rice with a fried egg on top (the egg is optional). Use extra basil for garnish or slices of cucumber.