I stumbled upon this chicken enchilada soup recipe and tweaked it to my liking. I thought with the recent cold snap, and with the holidays coming, this would be a good thing to serve.
I added taco seasoning, corn tortilla strips, and chopped banana peppers for heat. Apparently, you raise your metabolism by eating spicier foods. So if you don’t like a little heat, replace banana peppers with bell peppers.
This chicken enchilada soup recipe has 130 calories per cup and is pretty healthy. It has lean chicken breast and lots of vegetables, including the unexpected pumpkin. The pumpkin gives the soup some depth without all the extra calories.
Lo-Cal Chicken Enchilada SoupPrint Recipe
- 1/4 cup or 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 10 ounces of cooked, ground chicken breast
- 2 cans of green enchilada sauce
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 banana or bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Non-stick spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray pot with non-stick spray and saute onions and peppers over medium heat until translucent.
- Add corn, chicken, taco seasoning and broth.
- In another bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauces and pumpkin. Add to the pot and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Let it boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add tortilla strips. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.