This classic creamy lamb moussaka is made with succulent minced meat cooked with garlic and onion, layered with fried eggplant and finished with a creamy white (bèchamel) sauce. It’s an impressive dish, with a delicious combination of flavours.
Classic Creamy Lamb Moussaka Recipe
No other moussaka recipe tops this classic creamy lamb moussaka that everyone knows about. It's the recipe you'll come back to after trying out different variations of this dish.
- 500 grams eggplant (brinjal, aubergine, or guinea squash) - sliced
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic - crushed
- 500 grams ground lamb (minced lamb)
- 400 grams tomatoes - diced
- 3 tablespoons passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese - grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a tray and sprinkle with 3 teaspoons of the salt, turning once. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter in a frypan on medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add your crushed garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add mince and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until well browned.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, puree, thyme, pepper and the remaining salt. Cook, occasionally stirring, for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pat dry your eggplant slices using a paper towel. Season with flour and place in a bowl. Coat each eggplant slice well with flour.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frypan over medium/high heat. Fry half of the eggplant slices for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until lightly golden. Drain slices on kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and oil. Allow to cool slightly for ease of handling.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices on the base of a large baking dish. Spoon over the lamb mixture. Cover with remaining eggplant slices.
- Fold the egg yolks into the white sauce.
- Pour over the top of eggplant slices. Sprinkle with combined grated cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.
Calories: 566kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 19gFat: 49gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 1737mgPotassium: 611mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 826IUVitamin C: 13mgCalcium: 119mgIron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.