When I was young, we had a family tradition of Taco Thursdays. We truly looked forward to it each week. We tried out new taco recipes each week, fish, ground beef, veggie, flank steak, but we always go back to our signature recipe of turkey tacos which is a staple in our house. For now, I want to share with you a recipe of traditional Chicken Koftas with cucumbers and yogurt or what we call “Mediterranean Tacos” in our house!
Delicious Mediterranean TacosPrint Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds of ground chicken (we used thighs)
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley (use whatever herb you have if you don’t have it!)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (buy fat-free if you can)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes (try and buy local!) cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Whole wheat tortillas (you can use pitas if you want, but tortillas are a little less heavy, which is nice)
- Feta (if you want!)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves (if you don’t have them, just garnish with a different fresh herb)
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well until combined. Form mixture into small patties.
2. In a medium bowl, toss cucumber and yogurt; season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook patties until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
4. Divide patties and tomatoes among the tortillas. Top with the cucumber-yogurt sauce, feta, and garnish with mint. Serve!
This dish is amazingly healthy and unbelievably yummy! Greek yogurt is an amazing source of protein. I buy the fat-free, and we love it.
Stay present while eating! Make dinner an event to enjoy with family. We really do look forward to Taco Thursdays each week. Enjoy!