When I checked the weather on my phone this morning, it said -2 degrees. The dog would not even go outside! That’s when I decided it was a great day for some Crock Pot Ground Chicken Chili.
I am not a huge ground beef fan, so I mostly use ground chicken. However, don’t be afraid to ask the butcher meat department to grind some chicken breasts for you because even at Kroger, they will.
Crock Pot Ground Chicken Chili: Healthy Comfort Food
I also choose to go with two beans this time. You can do anything you want with chili. I am not a huge bean fan, but I am learning that if you put them in the slow cooker right away, they will get so soft you can not even taste them. Same with the kale. I am obsessed with kale. You will NOT taste kale in this dish, but why not add it? I chop it like parsley and add it to EVERYTHING!
Crock Pot Ground Chicken ChiliPrint Recipe
- 2 pounds of ground chicken
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup of kale (optional)
- 3 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 28-oz can of whole peeled tomatoes chopped
- 1 15-oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- a couple shakes of cayenne powder depending on your taste
- 1 can of black beans (a bit over a cup of cooked beans)
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (I use Hungarian)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of pepper
- Start by sautéing the meat in a large saucepan. Just drop the meat in and season with one tablespoon of salt, two tablespoons of chili powder and one teaspoon of pepper.
- Then throw the onion on top and cook the meat thru until the onions are translucent.
- Put the celery, tomatoes and beans in the crockpot and turn the heat on – high for 2 to 4 hours, or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- As soon as the meat is done, throw that in the crockpot as well, now top with everything else – spices, kale, tomato paste.
- At this point, all you have to do is stir every so often and get your chili sides fixings ready to enjoy. I like avocado, chopped onion and sour cream with tortillas on the side. Enjoy!