In our house, we began a routine of making these Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups on Mondays to start the week off with a crowd-pleasing and super-fast recipe. They are flavorful, light and healthy – and the ground meat makes for easy chewing for the little ones.
Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce CupsPrint Recipe
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 4 ounces of shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro
- ½ lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head of bibb lettuce (also called butter or Boston lettuce)
- Sriracha and chopped cashews to serve
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle the sesame oil into the pan, then add the ground meat and a pinch of salt.
- As the meat browns, stir to break it up and add the mushrooms.
- After sauteing for 1 minute, stir in the ginger, garlic, tomato paste, soy or tamari sauce, and brown sugar. Stir to coat the meat, and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the scallions, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over individual lettuce leaves as “cups,” topped with Sriracha and cashews.