This versatile Italian meat sauce can be used as a topper for many dishes, including Spaghetti Bolognese, or as stuffing for lasagna. Although intended to be made with a mixture of ground beef, pork, and veal, I personally prefer using only beef. Other than the health factor, I feel that using one only does not overpower the tastes and flavours of other ingredients that mix to create this Italian classic.
This Italian meat sauce is a savoury and tasty dish you can keep for a long in storage until you are in the mood for a yummy spaghetti.
Versatile Classic Italian Meat Sauce Recipe
- 275 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- 90 grams tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic - puree
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- ½ medium green pepper (green capsicum) - diced
- 1 litre tomato - diced with reserved juice
- 225 grams mushrooms - sliced
- 40 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 sprigs basil - chiffonade
- 3 sprigs oregano - chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Begin by having all the ingredients used in this dish prepared, cut up and collected before beginning cooking. This organized way of cooking reduces surprises and lets you concentrate on the food as it cooks.
- Brown the meat by cooking it on high heat as quickly as possible. Garnish with Salt, Pepper and olive oil.
- After the meat has cooked, add onion and green pepper to the pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Still, add garlic and mushrooms on high heat and cook for 5 minutes. The mixture should release some water while cooking, which helps in making sure the meat does not burn. Add a bit of water if the mixture seems dry.
- Add tomato paste and mix it into the mixture using a wooden spoon. Mixing it well to ensure that the paste’s bitterness diffuses into other ingredients.
- Add chili pepper, bay leaf, and crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Adjust sauce consistency with water. Reduce heat to medium heat and cook uncovered.
- The sauce will reduce and thicken. Remove the bay leaf and chili pepper and adjust the seasoning before serving.
- And now, enjoy.