This is a new Meatballs and Ziti Bake recipe that I want to share with you. I often need some carb heavy recipes that are healthy, especially when I need to go running. This one went over pretty well for the entire family. It is a delicious and healthy pasta recipe. A total comfort food for a crowd.
The Perfect Meatballs And Ziti Bake
- 6 ounces uncooked whole-wheat ziti
- ⅓ cup panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces 90% lean ground sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil divided
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can unsalted crushed tomatoes (28-ounce )
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat the broiler to a high.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl; reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Place panko, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, beef, and egg in a bowl, stirring just until combined. Shape beef mixture into 12 (1-inch) meatballs.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add meatballs to pan; cook for 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Add remaining 1 tablespoon garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Add reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons basil, crushed red pepper, and tomatoes to the pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir pasta into tomato mixture; spread evenly in skillet. Sprinkle cheese over top; broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil.