This Thai Chicken Salad Larb Gai is a delicious, heavenly mixture from cooked, minced chicken, herbs, chili peppers, the small, sweetish red Thai shallots and fresh lime juice.
Authentic Thai Chicken Salad Larb Gai
Essential for an authentic taste is the use of Khao Krua (roasted, pounded rice), which adds a fine nutty flavour. This dish should be well-balanced hot (chili flakes), sour (lime juice), salty (fish sauce) and sweet (palm sugar). Of course, you´ll have to do the “fine-tuning” depending on Your taste.
Thai Chicken Salad Larb GaiPrint Recipe
- 300 grams of chicken breast, minced
- 200 ml of Asian chicken broth or water
- 5-6 red Thai shallots or red onion, finely sliced
- 2-3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 culantro, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons of roasted and pounded rice (Khao Krua)
- 1-2 teaspoons of roasted and pounded chili (chili flakes)
- 1-2 teaspoons of palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- juice of 1-1 1/2 limes
- a handful of Thai mint (Bai Salanee) leaves
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon Umami MSG flavour enhancer
- Finely mince the chicken breast, best with a Chinese cleaver, or have it minced already from your meat shop.
- Bring chicken broth in a pot or wok to the boil, add minced chicken meat and boil until the liquid is distinctly reduced.
- Add the Khao Krua and chili flakes and mix together. Next, add culantro, shallots, spring onions and palm sugar, dissolved in a bit of hot water and mix well. Season with fish sauce, lime juice and MSG (optional).
- Add mint leaves and serve lukewarm.