My daughter began gymnastics a few weeks ago, which is fabulous! But it’s also 5:00 on a Thursday, so by the time we get home, cooking a meal from scratch is out of the question. Thank goodness for whoever invented the crockpot! I was inspired to find this crockpot tequila lime chili when visiting a local restaurant that served a similar chili. Tequila and lime in chili? Why didn’t I think of that before! It’s a sure winner.
The chili recipe starts off with some onion, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Together, they look delicious.
After cooking this mixture over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, I added the turkey mixture (bread, milk, ground turkey). Once that’s got cooking, you should have something beautiful like you see below.
Then, that gets thrown into the slow cooker with some diced tomatoes, tequila, soy sauce, honey, and chipotle chiles.
I topped off this crockpot tequila lime chili with homemade cilantro sour cream. It is a meal my family enjoys time and time again. It’s a hit at potlucks too!
Luscious Crockpot Tequila Lime Chili Recipe
- 1 slice bread - torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onion - minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano - dried
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 ounces ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- 14 ounces tomato - diced
- 1 can red kidney beans - rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili - in adobo, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Cilantro Sour Cream Ingredients
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt - plain
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (coriander) - freshly chopped
- Use a fork to mash the bread and milk into a paste in a large bowl. Add the ground turkey, salt and pepper to taste. Gently mix to combine either with a spoon or your hands.
- Combine the onions, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a big skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot (it will start to shimmer), add the bowl of onions and spices. Cook these for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions have softened and browned.
- Add the ground turkey mixture from (1) and cook until no longer pink. As you are cooking, use a cooking utensil to break up the large turkey pieces.
- Mix in the tomato sauce and use your utensil to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer everything in the pan into the slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes (juice included), 3 tablespoons of tequila, soy sauce, honey, and chipotle chile, stirring to combine. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the turkey is very tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the remaining tablespoon of tequila along with the lime zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cilantro Sour Cream Instructions
- At least 30 minutes before serving, mix the greek yogurt and cilantro in a small bowl.
- Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.