Chili Con Carne is a family favorite, especially in the fall. I love this dish. It is a ground beef recipe with beans, tomatoes, dark chocolate, and more! You can make a large pot of my secret classic chili con carne recipe ahead of time and heat it up for hungry diners! It also freezes well if you care to enjoy it later.
My Secret Classic Chili Con Carne RecipePrint Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1 (20-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (20-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (20-ounce) can of tomato puree
- 1 (14-ounce) sized can of light red kidney beans
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can of dark red kidney beans
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of black beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, add more to taste
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-ounce square dark chocolate
- Garnishes: shredded cheese, corn chips, chopped peppers, chopped green onions and sour cream
1. Brown ground beef in a large pot on medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and cook until the onions are soft. Next, add all cans of tomatoes and beans, undrained. Add bay leaves, chili powder and salt.
3. Mix to combine. Bring to a simmer and add the dark chocolate. Do not allow it to boil. Adjust the temperature accordingly.
4. Simmer chili for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Spoon into bowls and serve with garnishes such as shredded cheese, corn chips, and sour cream. Enjoy!