Before last night, I was not a believer in crockpots. Not that I didn’t think they didn’t make excellent meals, but that it just had this stigma for me: 1980s, minivans, mushy meat concoctions. However, a couple of months ago, my dear friend Larry made us the most amazing pulled pork dinner with his crockpot. I can still remember how he pulled off this Juicy Slow Cooked Pork Tacos recipe.
Fast forward, I got one, and I used it, baby! Wow! This is only the beginning! The true secret: do not add liquid! The fat and juices from the pork will cook itself, dreamy baby!
Juicy Slow Cooked Pork TacosPrint Recipe
- 2 to 4 pounds of pork mince
- 2 New Mexico dried chillies, seeded and stem removed
- 1/4 cup of coriander and cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup of dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Salt, pepper and honey
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast seeds on a cookie sheet for 3 minutes; for the last minute, throw in the oregano. Keep an eye that it doesn’t burn, shaking the sheet often.
- Blitz all spices in a food processor until fine
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper and spice mixture, cover with plastic and allow to marinate for at least an hour -the longer it can sit, the better!
- Turn on the slow cooker to low.
- Put the pork into a pot and drizzle with honey.
- Cook for about 4 to 5 hours (about an hour and a half per pound).
- Heat corn tortillas in a dry pan until lightly toasted.
- Mix sour cream and one chopped canned jalapeño pepper in adobe sauce.
- Slice radishes and lettuce and shred pepper jack cheese.
- Chop some fresh cilantro and sprinkle on top. Put some guacamole as well.
- Assemble and eat until you burst!