Last night, I was wondering what kind of casserole or leftover concoction my husband would come up with this time. By the way, my husband is an exceptional cook, and his leftover meals are better than most ships’ fancy offerings just like this Smokey Joe and Spaghetti recipe.
So in about the usual 25 to 30 minutes, he came up with this sensational quick-fix meal that I thought would be wonderful for an unusual dinner offering with a bit of red wine or to feed to a group of kids or teenagers with some veggies, fruit and milk or grape juice.
Once again, he had created a masterpiece on a whim and in the usual half an hour! Try this smokey joe and spaghetti sauce, and feel free to throw your own spaghetti variations in and season to suit, but we recommend low, low on the salt!
Delicious Smokey Joe and Spaghetti Surprise
- ½ pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- 4 medium mushrooms - sliced
- 1 stalk celery - chopped
- 1 small yellow onion - quartered and chopped
- ½ package spaghetti - to serve 4
- ¼ medium green pepper (green capsicum) - chopped and optional
- ½ cup red wine - optional
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Get 1 package of the small Smokey Joes or small hot or mild sausage. Slice them.
- Season with pepper, 2 small bay leaves, a pinch of rosemary, and a bit of thyme to taste.
- Put the sliced sausages in a skillet and brown lightly. Use some virgin olive oil to coat the pan first. Then add beef.
- Put the celery, onion and mushrooms in with the little sausages, simmer for about 7 minutes and don’t overcook them. Put them on low heat or simmer to prepare the sauce.
- Get a large stew pot or large soup pot for the tomato sauce and canned stewed tomatoes.
- Open the cans of tomato sauce.
- Put the tomato in the large pan and fill the empty cans with water. Then put the water in the saucepan with the mixture. Stir a bit and start to warm the sauce on Medium or low heat on the stovetop. After the mixture is cooking, put the Smokey Joes, onions, mushrooms, celery, and green pepper in to cook with the sauce. Let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes while you cook the spaghetti.
- With the spaghetti, fettuccini, or noodles, follow the directions on the package but use minimal salt for your good health. Put the items on the table or serve them on a plate and place them in front of your guests. Put a little wine for adults and grape juice for the kids, and I recommend some fresh bakery garlic bread oven warmed to go with the meal. We often have microwave broccoli with cheese on top to go with the dinner.
- Microwave the broccoli for about 3 minutes or taste and serve in a big microwave approved bowl. We recommend Raspberry Sherbet for dessert. Be sure to shop the bargains and get the best deal on your grocery products.