Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe. What have you got cooking for dinner? Sometimes we need some food that is comforting and hearty; nothing else will do. Often these foods are high in calories and weak in nutrition (think mac n cheese or fried chicken….mmm chicken).
What if you could have something that was comforting and nutritious? We all want to eat food that is quick to prepare. Often this means convenience foods or takeaways. These are never kind to our waistlines and are unsatisfying processed rubbish.
What if you could prepare your comforting, nutritious dinner in 20 minutes or less? That is less time than it would take most people to pick up take-out. Honestly, today I want to share one of my all-time favorite recipes with you: my easy spaghetti bolognese recipe. My secret is to use half the amount of ground beef and replace it with lentils. This makes the recipe lower in calories, higher in fiber, and cheaper on your wallet. It’s also a great recipe to hide veggies in for fussy children or partners! I hope you enjoy it.
Mesmerizing Spaghetti Bolognese RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 200 grams of beef mince
- 1 tin lentils, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- dried mixed herbs (to taste)
- 1 bag of frozen spinach leaves
- fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- parmesan cheese, grated
- dried pasta or spaghetti (1/2 cup per person)
- if desired: grated carrot, zucchini, etc. We used sliced bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini.
1. Get a pot of water onto a rolling boil (add a bit of salt).
2. Heat a non-stick frypan on medium-high. Add the onion, garlic and beef. Stir constantly, breaking up the beef until the beef is browned and the onion is clear.
3. Add lentils and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Once bubbling, reduce to a simmer.
4. Add mixed herbs (to taste: I use about 2 teaspoons), spinach and grated veggies.
5. While the sauce is cooking, cook pasta in the boiling water, following the packet instructions.
6. Drain pasta, and divide it among four plates.
7. Top pasta with your meat and lentil sauce, and garnish with basil and parmesan.
So that’s it, my easy spaghetti bolognese. It’s so simple, tasty, healthy and hearty. What more could you want from a recipe? We’re having this tomorrow, and I can’t wait!