Grab your sombrero because we are getting ready to embark on a Mexican flavour adventure with these crispy quesadillas with pork carnitas filling!
The ground pork is slow-cooked on the stove in a zesty concoction of orange juice, jalapenos, and onions. This extra tender meat is then shredded, lightly pan-fried, smothered in cheese, encased in a flour tortilla and baked to crispy golden goodness.
Are you hungry yet?
Depending on how much meat and cheese you cram into these, you can get anywhere from 4 to 6 quesadillas. These are sure to be a hit!
Crispy Quesadillas with Pork Carnitas FillingPrint Recipe
- 2 pounds of ground pork
- 3 cups of orange juice
- 4 cups of water
- 4 jalapenos, halved with seeds/stems still attached
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons of chilli powder
- 4-6 plain flour tortillas
- 3 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- Oil, as needed for coating tortillas
- Put all ingredients (except for tortillas, cheese, and oil) into a large pot and cook on low for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Remove pork from liquid and let cool.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove enough jalapenos and onions from the pot to use on the quesadillas. Remove the seeds/stems from jalapenos and slice them into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Reserve 1 cup of broth. Discard the rest along with any remaining peppers and onions.
- Add the reserved broth to pork and lightly mix. The meat will absorb the liquid.
- Put the pork into a medium-sized frying pan and cook on medium heat until lightly crispy and golden brown, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Take 2 tortillas and brush one side of each with oil. Lay oil-side down on the baking sheet.
- Top half of each tortilla with a thick layer of cheese, followed by a generous amount of pork. Arrange reserved onions and jalapenos on top of the pork. Cover with more cheese.
- Fold over the other half of each tortilla; lightly press together, so it stays closed.
- Bake for 6 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven. Cut into 4’s and serve with sour cream.