Meatloaf; some people love it, others not so much. I like it, but my husband is just so-so about it. But, one thing he does love is chicken parmesan, so we tried making this delicious chicken parmesan meatloaf.
He is a pretty good cook (we have an ongoing argument about who is the better cook. I’m sure you know what side each of us is on) and will periodically go all out and make the sauce, bread the chicken, pan fry it, and then bake it in the oven with as much cheese as I will let him get away with.
While I love that dish, I sometimes want something a little bit healthier and quicker to put together. And, now that we have a tiny kitchen, something that doesn’t dirty quite as many dishes!
So when I saw this recipe for chicken parmesan meatloaf, I knew this was my chance to try something new while also getting my hubby to join me in the pro meatloaf camp.
I modified the chicken parmesan meatloaf recipe slightly, but spoiler alert: the end product was delicious. I served it with green beans and slices from a multi-grain baguette. We both liked it, and I think it will make its way into our dinner rotation, especially when we’re a bit pressed for time, as it was quick and easy to throw together.
Delectable Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 small yellow onion - grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- ½ cup Marinara sauce (tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and onions – pasta sauce in southern hemisphere for Italian seafood dish)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease your loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a big bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic, onion (or onion powder if using), salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Try not to overhandle the mixture. Otherwise, it will get tough. Make sure everything is equally distributed, but don’t go crazy.
- Place the mixture into your pan and form it into a loaf. Top with pasta sauce, then bake in your oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken meatloaf from the oven, and top with your shredded (or sliced) cheese. Put it back into the oven and bake until the cheese melts. If you like your cheese browned and crusty, or you’re feeling adventurous, you can put it under the broiler for 1 minute – keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before digging in. If you’ve got it, garnish with some chopped parsley since that makes everything look fancy.