I have been craving pasta with hot Italian sausage, which I’d occasionally make at home, but hot Italian sausage is not readily found in Australia. So, with the powers of the internet, I found a few recipes and adapted them to make my own. Fortunately, for this recipe, the starting point was to remove the sausage meat from the casing, so I didn’t make sausages; I just seasoned the pork, then browned it, added onion, tinned plum tomatoes and some more herbs.
To me, this is the perfect comfort food and, as it turned out, was just what I needed.
This heavenly pasta with hot Italian sausage recipe is pretty spicy, which is the way I like it, so you may want to adjust the seasoning to suit your tastes.
Heavenly Pasta With Hot Italian Sausage Recipe
- 500 grams ground pork (minced pork) - shoulder and not too lean
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon paprika - mild
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 800 grams tomato
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup red wine
- Put the pork in a bowl and add salt, fennel, red pepper flakes, paprika and garlic. Mix well to distribute the seasoning evenly throughout the meat.
- Cook seasoned pork with onions until pork is browned and onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes (I break them up by hand first), red wine and dried herbs.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer until the tomatoes have reduced and the sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Add pasta to the sauce, mix and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.