I love banh mi sandwiches primarily due to all of their pickled vegetable goodness. (I’m a huge vinegar fan, as you know.) Unfortunately, most of them have way too little meat and vegetables for all of the bread they include. These Banh Mi Chicken Burger Lettuce Wraps give you all of the flavors, but no bun at all.
In this Banh Mi Chicken Burger Lettuce Wraps recipe, the chicken burgers, veggies, plus spicy mayo and jalapeños (if you dare) come together in a low carb lettuce wrap—no bread required.
Easy Banh Mi Chicken Burger Lettuce Wraps
FOR THE PICKLED VEGETABLES:
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (white sugar)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 medium carrots - cut into matchsticks
FOR THE BURGERS:
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken) - or turkey
- 1 stalk green onions (scallions or green shallots) - thinly sliced, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon ginger - freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - or tamari
- ½ medium lime juice
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup jalapenos - thinly sliced, optional
- First, let’s make the pickled vegetables. Get a medium bowl and mix the sugar, salt, and vinegar. Next, add the carrot, cucumber, and radish sticks. Set aside mixture at room temperature while you make the burgers (at least 10 minutes).
- To make the burgers, get a medium bowl and combine the ground chicken, garlic, ginger, scallions, lime juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar.
- Shape the chicken mixture into 4 patties and place on a cookie sheet or plate that will fit in your freezer. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Once ready, grill burgers for about 5 minutes per side or until they are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F. You can use a broiler if a grill is not available.
- Once your burgers are cooked, spread some sriracha mayonnaise, if using, on 4 large lettuce leaves. Top each with a burger.
- When ready to serve, drain the pickled vegetables and add them together with the jalapeños, if using.