I wanted to make shepherd’s pie for my little man, so I came up with a turkey bolognese sauce to use. He ended up having 1 or 2 “pies,” and then the other days, we just mixed the mashed potatoes with the turkey bolognese sauce as it was easier to heat up in the pan than putting the little trays in the oven.
This is a dairy-free recipe as he is still of any milk (hopefully, he is outgrowing this allergy!). I remember when I wanted to make his first bolognese, and all the baby recipes had butter or some dairy. So if you are in the same boat, I hope your little one likes this one!
We had loads of this and froze about 5 to 7 portions. I was very tired the week we made this, and we ended up having this for quite a few meals.
Simple Ground Turkey Bolognese Shepherd’s Pie
Turkey Bolognese Ingredients
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 medium eggplant (brinjal, aubergine, or guinea squash)
- 500 grams ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 grams cherry tomatoes
- ½ can water
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
- 7 small potatoes
Turkey Bolognese Instructions
- Sauté onions and carrots for 5 minutes in olive oil.
- Add turkey, then cook for another 5 minutes with the eggplants. Stir. Add tomatoes (juice and all) and squeeze your tomatoes with a spoon. Lower heat.
- Swirl water in the can to get the remaining tomato juice in. Add water and stock cube. Stir. Cover and cook for 2 hours
Shepherd’s Pie Instructions
- For the shepherd’s pie, you’ll need to boil and peel (before or after) your potatoes. Mash them with a fork and layer sauce in a ramekin and potato mash on top.