I recently read about Quinoa, and I decided to replace the rice in the usual stuffed peppers recipe with it and see how it would taste. So I stuffed the peppers with ground turkey and Quinoa. The result was a tasteful dish low in calories and full of protein, vitamins and fibres.
Low-Calorie Ground Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1.2 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers (yellow capsicum)
- 2 medium orange bell pepper (orange capsicum)
- 2 medium red pepper (red capsicum)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 ounce tomatoes - 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes - crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme - powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano - powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese - low-fat
- ⅔ cup quinoa - I used Vigo Gluten and Wheat Free
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the Quinoa and set aside for later.
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high heat, and cook the turkey mince until brown.
- Once it's cooked, add olive oil, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, onion and garlic powder, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Quinoa and stir; your stuffing is ready.
Baking the peppers
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds.
- Drizzle some olive oil on each pepper and coat them in and out with your fingers.
- Cover a large baking tray with non-stick baking sheet. Place the peppers on it, and fill them with the stuffing. Top each pepper with mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.