This sweet potato turkey casserole is a fit girl’s comfort food! This powerhouse meal is packed with protein, complex carbs, veggies and cheese! Yes, you heard me right, I eat cheese!
Everything in moderation, and enjoying this kind of comfort meal makes me less likely to binge later on something way worse, so bring on the cheese.
I love making this sweet potato turkey casserole when I want something heavy but still nutritious. I find this recipe so satisfying and guilt-free. I can still enjoy my diet while savouring this dish. Check out the very easy and delicious recipe I made for you.
Easy Sweet Potato Turkey Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey (minced turkey) - breast
- 2 teaspoons garlic - chopped
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers (yellow capsicum) - chopped
- 1 medium white onion - chopped
- 2 medium sweet potato - spiralized or chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 4 medium egg
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese - low-fat and shredded
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - extra-virgin
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add in ground turkey and garlic. Cook until turkey is cooked through.
- Add onions, peppers and chili powder to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes. Then set aside.
- Add olive oil and raw sweet potato to a separate skillet and cook on medium heat. Toss potato in skillet until softened.
- Once the sweet potato is soft, add it to a 9×12 bake-safe dish. Spread it along the bottom of the plate, making a bottom layer for the casserole.
- Next, add the ground turkey mixture to a 9×12 dish over top of the sweet potato.
- In a small bowl, beat 4 eggs slightly, then pour eggs over the casserole.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake casserole for 15 minutes. The cheese should be starting to brown.