Easy Slow Cooker Turkey And 2-Bean Chili. Some years ago, when I first bought a slow cooker, I bought Pillsbury Doughboy Slow Cooker Recipes to go along with it. The book has remained in regular rotation in my household for well over a decade. The recipes are basic, easy, and won’t disappoint. However, they aren’t always the healthiest meals I could put on the table.
I decided to clean up the recipe for Meaty 2-Bean Chili. This ground beef recipe was one of our favorite meals from the book and one that we made at least once a month, but the recipe called for a pound of ground beef, a half pound of Italian pork sausage, and a can of chili beans (which often contain cane syrup and cornstarch).
I made a few modifications to this Easy Slow Cooker Turkey And 2-Bean Chili, replacing the ground beef and Italian pork sausage with ground turkey and replacing the chili beans with black/red beans, plus added some extra veggies. I also had to find a replacement for my favorite accompaniment to chili: cornbread casserole (made with Jeff cornbread mix, sour cream, butter, and canned creamed style and whole kernel corn).
In my humble opinion, chili needs something cool and creamy to combat the heat, so avocado was the perfect topping.
Easy Slow Cooker Turkey And 2-Bean Chili
- 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 can garbanzo beans (14.5-ounce) drained and rinsed
- 1 can black/red beans (14.5-ounce) drained and rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5-ounce)
- ½ small bag mini peeled baby carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce (14.5-ounce), no salt added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine turkey and all remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Cover, and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours. Garnish with diced avocado, if desired.