Peppers happen to be one of my favourite veggies, and the mini-sweet variety is delicious. So I ran across this sweet pepper nachos recipe on Pinterest and decided to do my own take on it.
You could easily make a different substitution to this recipe to make it your own!
The most tedious part of this sweet pepper nachos recipe is slicing and removing the seeds from the peppers. But trust me, this recipe is well worth the effort!
I seasoned my ground turkey with the taco seasoning I buy from Costco, but any taco seasoning will do! I added salsa for some more veggies and a little extra kick of flavour, but you could easily omit the salsa or use Rotel.
Amazing Sweet Pepper Nachos Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey (minced turkey)
- ½ medium yellow onion - finely diced
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 tub salsa - no sugar added if you can find it
- 12 mini green pepper (green capsicum)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the top off of the peppers. Then cut the peppers in half, top to bottom and remove the seeds and ribs. Line them in a 13×9 inch glass pan.
- Heat a large pan at medium-high heat with some coconut oil (or olive oil). Add your onions and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add in ground turkey and cook until it is cooked through. Apply taco seasoning according to the directions.
- Stir salsa into the ground turkey mixture.
- Using a spoon, fill each sweet pepper with about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture (depending on the size of your peppers).
- Top with cheese and cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake the sweet pepper for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.