Last night was a clean-out-the-fridge night, so I wouldn’t waste money by letting meat and produce sit badly on the shelf. So when I found sweet potatoes, zucchini, squash, and bulk Cajun sausage, it seemed like the perfect time to finally try a shepherd’s pie. The result was this Cajun sweet potato shepherd’s pie that’s so delicious, and I’ve already added the ingredients to my grocery list to make it again!
Want to use this recipe for meatless Monday? Replace the sausage with a can of drained black beans. Now you’ve got a hearty vegan dinner!
Experiment with different veggies. Mushrooms, tomatoes, or eggplant would all be super tasty in this. Or trade out the sweet potatoes for roasted and mashed butternut squash. The possibilities are endless! Have fun and make it your own.
Click through for the recipe for this super healthy and veggie-packed casserole. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Don’t be afraid to make a big batch. I think this dish tastes even better today than it did yesterday! This cajun sweet potato shepherd’s pie microwaves perfectly.
Check back soon! Next time I’ll give you the recipe for the spiced blueberry applesauce I made for dessert.
Cajun Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 pound Cajun sausage
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 package seasoning blend
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- 2 medium summer squash diced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- In a stock pot, boil sweet potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain, combine with coconut milk and mash. Set aside for later.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and pork. Remove the browned meats from pan leaving 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add carrots. Cook until brown, frequently stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, seasoning blend, squash and zucchini. Add salt, black pepper, and Cayenne pepper to taste. Cover and cook until tender, frequently stirring, for about 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked vegetables and sausage in a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with sweet potatoes.
- Bake 35 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.