Tofu is healthy, good for you, and a good substitute for meat as a source of protein. So usually, in American cuisine, if tofu is used, no other meat ingredients are around. However, what’s ironic is that in Chinese cuisine, tofu dishes are usually accompanied by some meat ingredient to kick up the flavour of the tofu, which is what this Stir Fry Tofu Recipe is made of – tofu and meat.
Stir Fry Tofu Recipe
Well, I guess by my own observation, this stir fry tofu recipe is un-American. And what makes the stir fry tofu even more Chinese is the pickled mustard tuber ingredient—no need to freak out. You don’t need the pickled mustard tuber to stir fry your tofu. It just spices up the dish by adding a bit of spiciness and sourness. A pickled mustard tuber is preserved mustard vegetable.
Alternatively, you can use shiitake mushrooms instead of the pickled mustard to add to this stir fry tofu recipe. Or if you want, you can do both. (Don’t be a chicken — try it out and see what you like!)
And one more thing, if you would still prefer tofu without the meat, skip the ground pork. Honestly, I haven’t tried this stir fry tofu recipe without the ground pork, so I’m not sure how that may affect the tofu. It may become somewhat bland–but again, you can try it!
Stir Fry Tofu RecipePrint Recipe
- 12 ounces of firm tofu, sliced
- 1/2 pound of ground pork, thawed
- 2.5 ounces of pickled mustard tuber, or some sliced shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup of water, lukewarm
- white pepper
- sesame oil
- vegetable oil
- Add a bit of corn starch (to moisten the meat), a bit of soy sauce, a dash of white pepper, and a drizzle of sesame oil to the ground pork. Mix well. Let this sit for at least 30 minutes.
- (Optional) Rinse the pickled mustard and set it aside. Or you can substitute with sliced shiitake mushrooms.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Grease the pan with some vegetable oil.
- Add in garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add in ground pork. Crumble it as it browns. Cook until well done, for about 8 minutes.
- Add in measured soy sauce, salt, oyster sauce, and water. Let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add in tofu and pickled mustard or shiitake mushrooms. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring (very carefully) occasionally.
- (Optional) To thicken the sauce, mix a bit of corn starch with a drizzle of lukewarm water into the tofu—Cook for a few minutes.
- Serve over rice or brown rice (to keep it in the ‘healthy’ family).