Soup is a wonderful vehicle for meatballs. Soup is great. Meatballs are also wonderful. Together they are something soul-satisfying, so why not combine? And this wedding soup is the perfect dish for that.
Wedding soup calls for a delicate cheesy mixture. That mixture is what flavours the soup and makes it so lovely. The meatball mix can be beef, beef and pork or veal. Or as I decided to do this time chicken and chicken sausage. As you simmer the meatballs in the broth, some of the onions and parmesan cheese escapes and mingles with the broth and greens. It is really magical and very simple.
If you have ever had a weak, tasteless wedding soup, you can now be the expert and break up with them. They did not let the meatballs mingle with the simmering broth. But, like any good relationship, these ingredients should be able to work together, share, make each other better by being together and, yes, mingle.
Flavourful Wedding Soup Recipe
- ½ pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 1 medium carrots - diced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese - grated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 3 cups spinach - chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon)
- 1 cup Conchiglie rigate (also called shell or seashell pasta)
- Add the meat, onion, cheese, milk, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Mix together thoroughly. Add a little more milk if the ingredients seem dry.
- Roll small meatballs, about the size of golf balls or smaller.
- In a large soup pot, heat the broth over medium-high heat.
- Drop the meatballs gently into the simmering broth.
- Cook covered over low heat for about 25 minutes.
- Add the greens, carrot, and pasta, and continue to cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the greens have softened and the pasta has cooked through. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with more parmesan.