The newly stocked rows of carrots inspired me as I was strolling through the grocery store the other day. They looked so fresh! Bushy green tops and vibrant orange skins. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few ingredients to make spaghetti for supper. I considered adding carrots to my meal somehow as a side. What if I added carrots to the meat sauce? I recall watching an episode of Live with Kelly and Michael during a cooking segment where they combined celery and carrots into a hearty spaghetti sauce. Why not give it a try! The addition increases the nutrition content and tastes perfect for a savoury sauce.
Carrots are packed with a powerful antioxidant called beta-carotene. Beta carotene protects against cancer, heart disease, and inflammation in the body. Carrots help protect cells, support eye health, boost the immune system, help your reproductive system function properly, and reduce inflammation. This is especially important for building and maintaining healthy tissue and skin.
A hearty spaghetti sauce requires some time for the flavours to meld together. I let this sauce simmer for just under an hour. It was worth it! So grab a magazine, or maybe you have some laundry to catch up on. Enjoy!
Hearty Spaghetti Sauce
Hearty Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken) - lean
- 28 ounces tomato paste - crushed
- 2 medium carrots - cut into small pieces
- 1 small yellow onion - sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano - dried
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sprinkle parmesan cheese
- Using a food processor, puree onions, carrots, and garlic cloves. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven or non-stick pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add chicken and cook through, about 7 minutes, stirring often.
- On medium heat, stir in crushed tomatoes and pureed vegetables. Let the sauce cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped basil, oregano, and pepper, and turn heat to a simmer. Let the sauce cook for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on top of pasta noodles cooked as per package instructions and top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.