Summer months bring lots of opportunities to enjoy the very best fresh produce. Pick up some zucchini at your local farmer’s market to make these Quinoa and Turkey Zucchini Boats. This ground turkey recipe is quick and easy and is sure to satisfy everyone around the table.
Easy and Hearty Quinoa and Turkey Zucchini Boats
- ½ cup quinoa - prepare as directed on package (remember to rinse)
- 4 medium zucchini - trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup tomato - diced
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons basil - finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup Parmesan cheese - shredded
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Cook quinoa as directed until tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, bring 1 inch water to boil, add zucchini and cook until slightly softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove zucchini from the skillet and with a small spoon scrape out zucchini pulp, leaving the skin intact. Use care not to dig too deeply to allow for about ¼ inch of inside flesh to remain. This will make the boats hold together much better.
- Wipe skillet clean, heat skillet to medium high heat, add turkey and crumble as it browns for about 5 minutes.
- Add in onion, mushrooms, oregano and pulp of the zucchini that was scraped out. Sauté until turkey is cooked through.
- Stir in quinoa and tomatoes and sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in fresh basil.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini halves.
- Top each zucchini boat with 1-2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and bake for 5-10 minutes.