And I’m back again after what feels like a while. I’ve been trying to enjoy the last bit of summer before I get back to the books. Having a lot of free time allowed me to cook a lot, but it becomes harder yet manageable once I get busy again, so I’m trying to savour my time in the kitchen as best as I can. Thus, the quinoa and turkey bowl recipe that I will share with you.
Sometimes, I’ll want to cook chicken breast or fish for dinner but realize that it’s in the freezer and will take forever to thaw. In these times, I’m thankful for ground meat. I find it easier to cut a chunk out of or put the whole package on the pan. It cooks quickly, which is fantastic when I’m impatient. Lucky you, this entire blog is dedicated to all things ground meat.
I made something delicious the other day. There was an art festival in the Distillery District, and even though I told myself that I would browse, I ended up buying this pretty blue ceramic bowl and a painting for my living room. I wanted to make something delicious to put in the bowl and immediately thought of a quinoa and turkey bowl.
I’ll let you in on a secret. Lately, I have been mixing Sunflower Kitchen’s sundried tomato and black olive pesto into everything and even using it as a spread. I’m obsessed! It would be great in this too.
Easy Quinoa and Turkey Bowl
- ¼ cup quinoa - dry
- ⅓ cup chickpeas - cooked
- ½ cup ground turkey - extra lean
- ½ large avocado - sliced
- ½ large tomato - diced
- 1 entire medium broccoli - head chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic - minced
- 1 dash curry powder - medium yellow
- 1 dash ground ginger
- 1 dash turmeric powder
- 1 pinch sea salt - to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper - to taste
- ½ medium lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch mustard
- Throw olive oil and lemon juice into a pan on medium heat and add broccoli first. After a couple of minutes, add tomato. Lastly, add minced garlic. Keep the pan on for at least five minutes.
- Set chopped sundried tomatoes into a cup of warm water for a couple of minutes to soften up.
- Cook quinoa for about 10 to 15 minutes with at least half a cup of water on medium heat or until done.
- Take uncooked lean ground turkey and combine with curry powder, ground ginger, turmeric, sea salt and pepper. Then form into a patty and cook on pan on medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side or cook it ground style.
- Combine everything in a bowl, mix with chickpeas and sundried tomatoes and dressing, top with avocado slices and turkey.