This Turkey Quinoa Skillet Casserole is one of those super simple casserole recipes that morphs into something different every time I make it, and that’s why I love it so much! I firmly believe that a recipe is more a guidebook than a rule book.
This Turkey Quinoa Skillet Casserole is not your ordinary casserole. This one is chock full of healthy ground turkey and vegetables.
And for all the recipes I share here, I hope you all use them as well. Don’t like the spices I used? Swap them out for ones you prefer! Different vegetables in season? By all means, use whatever is fresh and readily available! Prefer to go vegetarian? Perfect! Leave out the meat, sub in tofu, beans, or another protein source you like.
Turkey Quinoa Skillet CasserolePrint Recipe
- 20 ounces of lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 garlic scapes, or 2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small summer squash, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cup of mushrooms, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large fresh tomato, chopped bite-sized
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare quinoa by combining it in a small saucepan with the chicken stock. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, drizzle olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet and brown ground turkey over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic scapes, peppers, squash, and mushrooms.
- Mix in salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes, cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add cooked quinoa, stirring well to combine.
- Sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and place in preheated oven.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes until hot and bubbly, and cheese is slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.