I knew I wanted something healthy for dinner but also filling. So I had some ground turkey defrosting in the fridge and decided to make these turkey-zucchini burgers!
These burgers are very nutritious. The turkey is good on its own, but I decided to add zucchini to make it even healthier. The combination surprised me as it tasted even better than what I expected. The texture they make is just superb.
I promise you don’t taste the zucchini. It’s just an easy way to add a veggie. It also keeps the turkey burger moist. Most complaints about turkey burgers are that they are too dry.
I usually serve these turkey-zucchini burgers with roasted sweet potatoes. But you can serve these turkey burgers with anything you like. But I recommend you have a refreshing drink to complement these burgers.
Nutritious Turkey-Zucchini Burgers Recipe
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices cheese
- 4 pieces Hamburger buns
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- ¼ cup cremini mushrooms optional
- Wash, then cut off both ends of the zucchini. Using a grater, shred the entire zucchini.
- Compress some of the liquid out with a cloth or paper towels. Add to a medium-sized bowl the ground turkey, egg and minced garlic.
- Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your taste. If you don’t know how much to add, start with 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix it all with a fork (or your hands). Form into patties. I usually get 5 to 6 patties out of this. Spray a grill pan with cooking spray. Cook patties on either side for about 5 minutes each. When you flip them over, you can add the sliced cheese and cover with foil for those last 5 minutes. It melts the cheese nicely and also ensures the burger is cooked through.
- Add to a bun with lettuce, tomatoes and whatever condiments you like! I like to top it with sauteed mushrooms and serve it on a bed of sliced avocado!