This Satisfying and Easy Turkey Chili recipe came together during winter while I was visiting our relatives. Living with other people in a large house, we liked taking the time to eat meals together at least a couple of times a week. One of our favorites for the colder months was this Satisfying and Easy Turkey Chili.
Done right, this Satisfying and Easy Turkey Chili is a healthy member of the soup family, and easy to customize for your own taste. With ground turkey, make sure to buy a high-quality brand as it is common for ground turkey to have high skin content as filler. Ground beef may be substituted for turkey; in this case, select the leanest one possible since the extra fat won’t add to the flavor in the same way it does with other ground beef recipes.
Satisfying and Easy Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 1 large white onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 piece bay leaf (bay leaves)
- 1 can beer
- 30 ounces tomato - canned, diced
- 15 ounces Neapolitan Sauce or Pasta sauce Southern Hemisphere (Tomato Sauce in North America) - canned
- 15 ounce red kidney beans - various beans
- In a large pot, heat the oil until shimmering and add the ground turkey, onion and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat for five minutes and add the next eight ingredients (salt through the bay leaf) and stir occasionally until the meat is cooked for about five additional minutes. Add the beer and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juice and the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Rinse the beans thoroughly and add to the chili. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for at least two hours and up to five, stirring occasionally and making sure to keep the heat low enough to avoid burning.
- Serve with cornbread, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and a lime wedge.