This turkey Sloppy Joe recipe is simple, healthy, low fat, high protein, and simply delicious! You can serve it over a whole wheat bun, or brown rice, or just eat it by itself. The flavours are bold and tasty. Tonight I ate this as my entree with a side of brown rice and steamed fresh green beans with honey.
You’ll love these turkey sloppy joes as these have a different texture and flavours than a regular beef sloppy joe. It’s a perfect snack to serve kids and adults alike. I guarantee you will enjoy having this when you got plenty of people to feed.
Easy Homemade Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe
Sloppy joes are an easy recipe to make when yo have sudden guests. It doesn't require many ingredients, but it sure tastes like it does. Today, I made a healthier version using turkey mince for this homemade turkey sloppy joes recipe.
- 1 ¼ pound ground turkey (minced turkey) - lean
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced finely
- ½ medium green pepper (green capsicum) - diced finely
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey, diced peppers, and onion over medium-high heat.
- Extra-lean ground turkey doesn’t really “brown” like other ground meats. That’s okay! Just make sure there’s no pink left. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the peppers and onion are soft.
- Add garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, and water.
- Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if you’d like. If it looks dried out, add more water and stir about a tablespoon at a time. The sauce will thicken as it cooks.
- Serve over a bun or with some delicious healthy sides.
Calories: 165.4kcalCarbohydrates: 15.5gProtein: 23.1gFat: 1.9gSaturated Fat: 0.5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.6gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.5gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 429.5mgPotassium: 445.4mgFiber: 0.7gSugar: 11.5gVitamin A: 266.6IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 17.3mgIron: 1mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!