Mixing Chinese and Creole cuisines, I bet these dasheen pork dumplings hit at home or as a party treat. These are really easy to make, so you won’t get exhausted at all in making these delicious treats.
Dasheen Pork Dumplings with Pear Bacon JamPrint Recipe
- 4 pounds of ground pork belly
- 1 medium dasheen
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 pack bacon
- 2 pears
- 4 onions
- 1 cup of water
- 1 bottle of beer
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 teaspoons of five-spice
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Peel and boil the dasheen till tender.
- Puree cooked dasheen in a food processor.
- Add flour and 1 cup of water to puree.
- Once the dough is formed, knead into a smooth ball.
- Cover and rest for 1 hour.
Pork Filling Instructions
- Season pork with black pepper, five-spice and paprika.
- Place on the baking tray, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove foil, add the beer and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, pulse in a food processor and set aside.
Bacon Jam Instructions
- Chop the bacon into bits and add to pan on medium heat.
- When the bacon is crispy, remove it, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- Add chopped onions and pears to the pan and cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add the bacon and cook for another 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add cooked bacon to a food processor and pulse.
- Add the desired amount of cayenne and if sugar if the pears are tart.
- Roll out dough in a rectangular shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 4-inch squares and place a tablespoon of the pork filling into the centre of the square.
- Fold over to create a triangle, then use a fork to crimp the edges sealed.
- Place a frying pan on high heat, adding a tablespoon of oil, then pan sear dumplings until golden brown. After the dumplings have been seared, add a sprinkle of water inside the pan to create steam.
- Cover the pan to finish cooking. Once the liquid has rendered out, remove it from the pan.
- Serve the pork-filled dasheen dumplings with the bacon jam.
- Add toasted sesame and chopped chives as garnish.