I have decided to post one of my absolute favourite Arabic recipes. I have made this Arabic Lamb and Rice so many times and find it always goes down well with a hungry tribe!
This dish will serve about four people, depending on how hungry they are. Feel free to play with your rice and lamb measurements; I like a lot of lamb, so sometimes I add more. Try not to spice too much after cooking as it’s hard to get it evenly through the rice.
Arabic Lamb and RicePrint Recipe
- 500 grams of minced lamb with fat removed
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3½ cups of boiling chicken broth or stock
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of allspice
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of saffron
- ½ cup of pine nuts or cashew nuts
- Lightly brown the lamb meat in butter in the biggest or deepest pot you can find.
- Add salt and spices and stir the lamb for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and chicken broth and stir well.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Leave to sit for 30 minutes before serving.
- While you wait, brown your pine or cashew nuts in over high heat in a separate pan.
- Serve rice with pine or cashew nuts stirred through, or you can sprinkle on the top of each serving as a tasty garnish.