Karahi is a popular dish in Pakistan. The same procedure can be used for both beef and mutton karahi. I prefer using ground mutton as it gives a fuller taste to the dish. This is one of the top recipes to follow for regular meals or dinner parties. At least for me!
Mouth-Watering Mutton Karahi Recipe
- 2 pounds ground lamb - preferably mutton
- 5 tablespoons ginger - finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 medium tomato - cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder - red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 5 seeds cardamom - grind 5 seeds of black cardamom
- 8 seeds cardamom - grind 8 seeds of green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon pimento corns - (also called allspice or Jamaican Pepper)
- 6 medium green chilis
- 6 cups water
- Chop one garlic clove and mix in the water, ground mutton and 1 tsp salt.
- Cover the saucepan or pot and let the meat simmer until tender. There should not be much water in the pot in the end.
- Add butter, oil, the other garlic clove (chopped) , ginger and the green chillies in the pot.
- Add ½ tsp salt, red chilli powder and white pepper powder. Stir.
- Beat the yogurt and add to the pot. Stir.
- When the yogurt has no moer its juices, addd the tomatoes which you have already cut each into eight pieces.
- Grind the black and green cardamom seeds, mix them and add ½ tsp.
- Add allspice powder and sauté until the oil shows up around the edges.
- Add some water if the gravy starts burning at the edges.
- Garnish with green coriander and serve in a wok.