I love lamb meat, but my kids don’t really like the smell. So instead of the usual lamb chops, I decided to try the ground lamb and make a different kind of pie covered with mashed potatoes. This lamb pie with potato puree is actually a Shepherd’s pie.
Creamy Lamb Pie with Potato Puree
This lamb pie with potato puree isn't an actual pie with a pastry sheet; it's more like Shepherd's pie.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - finely chopped
- 4 ½ pounds ground lamb (minced lamb)
- ⅝ cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper - (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon - ground
- 2 teaspoons rosemary - chopped fresh
- 3 bulb garlic - chopped
- 1 tablespoon ketchup - (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- 2 cups water - (or broth)
- 2 ¾ cups peas
- 2 ¾ cups carrots - diced
- 4 ½ pounds potatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream (also called thickened cream)
- 2 ¾ cups Gouda cheese - grated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 medium egg yolk - beaten with 2 tbsp milk
- In a saucepan over high heat, add oil, chopped onion and minced lamb and stir until the mixture turns light brown.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium yellow onion, 4 ½ pounds ground lamb (minced lamb)
- Then add the flour and stir for about 2 more minutes.⅝ cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, cinnamon, ketchup, cayenne pepper and garlic and stir.½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons rosemary, 3 bulb garlic, 1 tablespoon ketchup, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Then add the water or broth. Continue stirring for 5 more minutes.2 cups water
- Then add the peas and carrots and stir.2 ¾ cups peas, 2 ¾ cups carrots
- Butter the sides of the baking tray1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Pour the minced mixture into a baking tray.
- In a pot, boil the potatoes with salt and pepper for about 25 minutes or until tender.4 ½ pounds potatoes, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the double cream and the Gouda cheese and mix well with a fork or a mashing tool.4 tablespoons heavy cream (also called thickened cream), 2 ¾ cups Gouda cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, beat 1 egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of milk, pour it into the mashed potatoes and continue blending the ingredients.1 medium egg yolk, 2 tablespoons milk
- Finally, pour the puree over the mince and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
If 500 ml water/broth is not enough, you can add a bit more depending on the thickness you want. This does about 12 servings for the average person but if you have a number growing boys (teenagers) you may look to about 6 servings.
Calories: 914kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 48gFat: 60gSaturated Fat: 29gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0.04gCholesterol: 211mgSodium: 787mgPotassium: 1373mgFiber: 7gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 5630IUVitamin C: 50mgCalcium: 460mgIron: 5mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!