These chicken and avocado baked taquitos make a much healthier pre-workout snack, or appetizer for that matter. They’re very simple but incredibly delicious and only require a few ingredients! They’re great alone, but dip them in some homemade lime crema (sounds super fancy, I know), and they’ve taken to a new level.
Delicious Chicken and Avocado Baked Taquitos
- 2 pounds ground chicken (minced chicken)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt - non-fat plain
- 1 small avocado
- 8 small tortillas - whole wheat low carb
Lime Crema Ingredients
- 1 cup Greek yogurt - non-fat plain
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 medium lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the minced chicken with chilli powder, garlic powder, and salt. Place on a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes to heat up. This makes the taquitos easier to roll.
- Combine the chicken with the yogurt and tomatillo salsa in a bowl, and season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Remove tortillas from the oven and turn the oven temperature up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Assemble the taquitos by filling each tortilla with 1 ounce of chicken and a few slices of avocado. Place the filling close to the top of the tortilla, and roll tightly into the taquito shape. Seal the edge with a touch of cooking spray, and repeat the process with all tortillas.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil, and place the taquitos on the sheet. Spray the taquitos with cooking spray to help them brown, and bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- While the taquitos are baking, make your lime crema by simply combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve with salsa in addition to the lime crema, if desired.