Today’s recipe was inspired by a pizza I got almost every time I visited Antonio’s on Northgate in College Station. It was always my favourite whether I ate it at 2 in the morning or lunchtime between classes. Surprisingly though, I’ve never tried to recreate it. Until now, that is.
I present to you my Taco Salad Pizza!
Oh boy, is it ever good? In real life, I wouldn’t say I like sour cream. You would never catch me putting it on a potato. But sour cream is 100% right on this pizza. Dollop it on right after the pizza comes out of the oven, along with a variety of other toppings.
Taco Salad PizzaPrint Recipe
- Taco Salad Pizza Ingredients
- 1 pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 batch of guacamole
- 1/2 jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 1/2 jar of jalapeno pepper and onion
- 1 large chicken breast, minced
- 1 small can of black olives
- 1 cup of Mexican Blend Cheese
- 8 small dollops of low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup of crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- Guacamole Ingredients
- 3 avocados, ripe
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Mince chicken breast and marinate in jalapeno pepper and onion mixture. Let sit for about 30 minutes. While this is marinating, prepare the guacamole and pizza dough. I used to make homemade pizza dough but then discovered a grocery store that sells frozen whole wheat dough (very similar to the Trader Joes stuff), so that is my go-to now.
- For my guacamole, I mash the avocados in a medium-size bowl. Then, add tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor. Pulse until everything is diced. Mix this into the avocados. Add lime juice, spices, salt and pepper. Adjust to taste.
- Roll your pizza dough on a pizza stone (or cookie sheet). Cover pizza dough with guacamole.
- Add roasted red bell peppers and black olives. Meanwhile, saute chicken breast over medium heat in a skillet for about 8 minutes. You want it to be pretty much cooked.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add to the pizza. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and brown.
- Remove pizza from the oven.
- Add sour cream, lettuce, salsa, and tortilla chips before serving; this creates that “taco salad” part.
- Slice pizza into triangles or small squares.