This milky Tex-Mex skillet pie is one of those just simple yet delicious dinners. The beef and sweet potato mixture are filling and so satisfying.
I initially found this Tex-Mex skillet pie recipe was inspired by a Pinterest post. The original recipe calls for adobo peppers, which I left out because, usually, they’re too hot. I would add them in next time.
Let me know what you think if you try this one! This is such an easy dish you can make when you’re too lazy to prepare a complicated, delicious meal.
Milky Tex-Mex Skillet Pie Recipe
If you like savoury things, you'll love this Tex-Mex skillet pie. I like food in Texas and having it incorporated with Mexican makes me so excited to make this at home.
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 medium egg
- 1 large sweet potato - cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion - diced
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 14 ½ ounces tomato - diced including the juice
- ½ cup corn
- 1 cup cilantro (coriander) - chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, stir the corn muffin mix, milk, and egg.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil; heat over high. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, use an oven-safe skillet.
- Cook the ground beef until brown and drain off most of the grease.
- Transfer the ground beef to another bowl. Add the sweet potatoes and onion to the ground beef grease; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, often stirring, until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef back in, as well as the tomatoes and their juices, the corn, and cilantro. Stir well and top with the muffin batter, leaving a 2-inch border. Bake until the cornbread is golden and a tester inserted in its centre comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
Calories: 690kcalCarbohydrates: 72gProtein: 29gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 653mgPotassium: 1021mgFiber: 9gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 12612IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 153mgIron: 6mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!