Not everyone’s a fan of cornbread, but if you are and you also love your pies, then this recipe of Ground Beef Skillet Pie With Cornbread Crust is probably going to be right up your alley. It’s perfect during winter – a hearty cornbread crust that holds a delicious ground beef filling.
Ground Beef Skillet Pie
The best part about this pie is that it can be made in a cast-iron skillet, making the crust crispier and the whole dish more flavorful. The cornbread crust is usually made by combining cornmeal, salt, vegetable oil, sour cream, baking powder, creamed corn and eggs.
I’ve included instructions on making the cornbread, but if you have your own recipe for that, go ahead and use it.
Ground Beef Skillet Pie With Cornbread CrustPrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- some jalapeno chilis for some kick
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Take the cornbread ingredients and mix them in a bowl before setting them aside.
- Saute the onions, peppers and garlic in the pan before adding your ground beef and cooking it through.
- Drain away any excess fat/grease and mix through the cumin, tomatoes, chili powder, salt & pepper. Once thoroughly stirred, you can turn the heat off.
- Take your skillet and sprinkle some dry cornmeal across the base. Lay half of your cornbread mixture on the bottom of your skillet.
- Add your ground beef filling and sprinkle the cheese over the top before enclosing your pie with the rest of the cornbread batter.
- Place your skillet into the preheated oven and cook for 50 minutes. You may need to cook the pie for a bit longer if the cornbread isn’t quite cooked.