Tired of the usual turkey casseroles you eat every special occasion? Well, try this Sweet Potato and Extra Lean Ground Turkey Pie for a change. It is a similar dish, but it is more hearty and packed with more flavour.
Sweet Potato and Extra Lean Ground Turkey PiePrint Recipe
- 3 sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1 pound of extra lean ground turkey
- 1 cup of onions, diced
- 1 cup of green beans, diced
- 1 cup of red pepper or carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup of celery, diced
- 1 341-ml can corn, drained
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- Cheese or panko bread crumbs, optional
- Clean, peel and chop sweet potatoes into large chunks.
- Boil a pot of water and add sweet potatoes.
- Allow sweet potatoes to simmer until they are softened and easy to mash.
- Drain sweet potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes until they are free of lumps.
- Stir in salt and black pepper.
- Set the sweet potatoes aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and ground turkey to the frying pan and sauté until the turkey is almost fully cooked
- Add the beans, peppers, celery, corn, tomato paste, honey, garlic, oregano, chilli powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Continue to cook until the vegetables have softened
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the turkey and vegetables to a large baking dish, and spread into an even layer.
- Spread the sweet potatoes evenly over the turkey and vegetables
- Lightly sprinkle cheese on the sweet potatoes, then dust with paprika.
- Place the baking dish in the centre of your oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.